(Security Administrator Tool for Analyzing Networks)
- What is SATAN?
- Who should use it?
- How does it work?
- The most important concept - trust
- Getting started
- What you need to do to
run SATAN even if you don't want to read documentation
- Getting and compiling
all those programs if you don't have them already
- What are all the files for?
- System requirements
- Disk space
- Required software tools
- Dangers of SATAN
- Controlling SATAN
- Boundary issues - keeping track of where it goes
- Being a very unfriendly neighbor
- Attacking vs. probing vs. scanning
- Legal problems with running SATAN
- Design goals
- Toolkit approach
- Philosophical Musings
- Why build it?
- Why does it scan sites other than your own?
- Why wasn't there a limited distribution, to only the "white hats"?
- Future directions
- References, Acknowledgements
- Acknowledgements and dedications
- Copyright notice
- About the authors
Back to the Documentation TOC