47th Pápa Tactical Fighter Regiment - Pápa
This was the unit of Bertalan Farkas who was in the space on 26th May of 1980 onboard the Sojuz-36 spaceship as the first and only Hungarian.
The story of the regiment
The 24th Fighter Regiment which was the predecessor of the present regiment formed on 1st November of 1950 in Szentkirályszabadja. That time they had 30 Jak-8 aircraft.
After the formation the regiment moved to Kecskemét where they were retrained for the MiG-15 by the Soviets.
In October of 1952 unit moved to Taszár where they started to perform readiness service from October of 1953 with 4 pilots.
In November of 1953 they moved to Sármellék. That time they had 40 MiG-15s, 2 MiG-15 UTI, 2 Jak-18, 1 Jak-9 P and 1 Jak-11.
In 1954 they started to perform readiness service in all weather conditions with 4 aircraft.
From 1957 to 1960 the regiment was under the control of the Aircraft Training Centre and they started to prepare for the retraining for the MiG-21 in November of 1960.
The technicins got their retraining for the MiG-21 in Krasnodar, Russia, between 28th February and 27th June in 1961 while while the pilots got theirs between 7th March and 30th August. The unit moved to Pápa the same yearin July. After getting the MiG-21 F-13 they started the operation and they controlled the retraining of the technicians from Kecskemét. The technicians of Pápa made the technicial take over of all the 80 aircraft from which the Kecskemét unit was also equipped.
Between July and September of 1962 the regiment performed its training flights from Taszár airbase because off the reconstruction of their home base's runaway.
In 1964 the unit was retrained for the MiG-21 PF type aircraft.
In 1971 they started the retraining for the MiG-21 MF type and they finished by the year of 1974. Till July of 1975 all units of the regiment flew this type and this was the one only period that all the units flew the same type at a time.
In July of 1975 the new MiG-21 bis type appeared firstly in the 3rd squadron.
Between 28th March and 15th June of 1979 the first squadron of the regiment got its retraining for the MIG-23 MF type in the Soviet Union. In August they got 6 MiG-23 MFs and 2 MiG-23 UBs and later more 6 MiG-23 MFs and 2 MiG-23 UBs were received. The MiG-23 squadron became operational on 25th August of 1980.
From the summer of 1984 the 1st squadron temporarily moved to Mezôkövesd while the other two squadrons to Szentkirályszabadja for a year because of the reconstruction of their home base's runaway. During the reconstruction work new hardened hangars also were built.
Due to reductions which were in all airforce units the regiment were reduced to division with the name of Aurél Stromfeld National Fighter Regiment.
From 1st August the unit started to form a tactical fighter regiment with a 1485 people peace time crew.
With the agreement of the authority of Pápa which was the home town of the unit they were renamed after the town of Pápa and got the name of 47th Pápa Tactical Fighter Regiment.
In 1995 the MiG-21 MFs of Kecskemét which were replaced by MiG-29s were moved to the Pápa regiment as a reserve.
The tasks of the regiment
The same as the Dezsô Szentgyörgyi Tactical Regiments' ( see there ). They are responsible for the NW airspace of the country which is N from the lake Balaton.
MiG-23 MF is a third generation Russian fighter aircraft. The aircraft has pivoted swept wings. It is combat capable in day or night in all weather conditions. The MiG-23's main role is air to air combat but it has limited air to ground capability. Its weaponary consists of semi activ medium range radar guided missiles, infrared dogfight missiles and az internal 23 mm 2 barrel machinegun. Against ground targets it can carry bombs and unguided rockets. The radar is not capable of tracking or engaging multiple targets at a time and has only limited look down / shoot down capability.
For more detailed description see our type description section!
For more information see our type descriptions page!
Collected and put together by Tamás Gál; Transferred to
HTML language by Kornél Straub
All rights reserved! © Eastern Wings 1996.